A communication vehicle for the Chehalem Mountain Chapter of the Oregon Dressage Society.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sylvia's new ride

He's tall-enough, dark and handsome, and his name is Cohort!

Sylvia wrote: "On September 26, 2011, I sent my beloved Thumper over the Rainbow Bridge. He reports that there are no flies in the pastures of heaven, there are carrots everywhere, and that he thinks he is 7 again like he was when I bought him.

"I had thought that Thumper was probably my final horse, as I had owned him (or vice-versa) for over 17 years. I would have been happy to have another 17 years with him, but he said he couldn't do it.

"So, believing my own adage, 'Don't be afraid to love another one, the magic can happen again,' I went shopping.

"The new boy is Cohort, age four and a half, a plain red bay with a glimmer of a star, standing about 15.2. He is very green. He had 5 weeks under saddle starting last March, then nothing all summer. However, his disposition and willingness to learn are outstanding, and he is sound (cross fingers and knock on wood for saying so) and a nice mover. His daddy is a dark bay Holsteiner who jumps in British Columbia. Mom is 'ISR' with the Oldenburg Society. From what I could find out, that means she was bay, had four legs and a uterus.

"Cohort joins the club at Janet Aungier Dressage, based at Sherwood Stables in Sherwood, OR, where he and I will train with Janet for dressage. I've figured out that Cohort and I can shoot for our Century ride in the 2027 show season, so we will start working toward that."

I think it would be most fitting if that happened at the show that Sylvia named - Bears Above the Ground!

Congratulations, Sylvia, and happy trails to both of you for a long, long time!

He's a real sweetie.

No comments: